A typical Hound spotted earlier

Saturday 6 April 2019

Winning Hound

Well, a lot to get through this week. The quiz won't take long though as I have no notes and no memory.


Though I do remember this fella turned up in round 1 which was mainly Ds.

Key point though was Hound win, we didn't attempt the jeopardy, settling for 8 but with a gun against our heads we'd have got it so that can't be bad.

Right, onto the Maundy Thursday research that was promised around the A25/Redhill to Guildford trainline. Frankly Friday wasn't the warm sunny day for the cycle ride around the Surrey Hills that I was hoping for. But off I headed regardless. Much of it was new territory for me and the road signs weren't helping.


But I headed off regardless, covered a fair few miles and propose the following:

Kick off with the 11.30 train from Redhill to Shalford. Shalford has 3 pubs all within 0.3m of the station, The Seahorse, The Queen Victoria and The Parrot. Something for everybody. Arrivees from Sutton can intercept at Dorking or go straight there via Guildford.

Other stations with pubs are Chilworth, with the Percy Arms very close and Gomshall with the Compasses and Gomshall Mill both within about 0.2m of the station. Fine places all of them.


Now extending options further, the Number 32 bus follows the route and brings in fine places like Shere and the Drummond at Albury. E.g. from Chilworth.



You'll see they don't run desperately late but have the advantage of depositing us in Dorking to finish rather than the more distant Dorking Deepdene.. More great pubs are further out in the sticks. I tapped the Uber App though when I was out to be greeted with nothing, we ain't in London here. The absolute finest though was one I passed on the bike between Albury and Shere, the William IV. Magnificent.


Something to consider I trust, feedback welcome.

In other news Daren, Graham and myself are chewing over a Hound USA road trip. More to come on this.


Stay frosty.






No comments:

Post a Comment