A typical Hound spotted earlier

Friday 3 December 2010

Debbie Does Hounds

Thursday Night and the prospects weren't good. Kevster had muttered something about buses and Peterkins wasn't to be shifted from the environs of Croydon. Stll I hadn't been out all week and nothing was going to get in the way of some quiz action.

On my way out of L&G I met some colleagues who were off for a pint at the Mint in Banstead. It didn't seem too much of a diversion so off we all trudged, the usual horseplay in the snow ensued, the main activity being pulling a tree so the snow fell on the person behind. What fun!

The Mint was lovely and welcoming and as it does, one pint became four before I headed off again. Walking through Woodmansterne offered the first chance of public transport and though the 166 was parked at the Midday Sun, we did spot a taxi heading to Purley so I could arrive at the scheduled time.

Knowing we were down on numbers, Daren had arrived in good times and was chatting to Debbie when I got there. She seemed a pleasant enough sort, the main things I remember about her was she had three sisters and an unusual hat with an embroided bear I think plus ears stitched on the side. Prospects of recruiting her were high but then she got dragged away, by one of her sisters I think.

For my part, I had recruited Simon, a fellow runner who was on a marathon walk from Kingswood to back home in South Croydon. So we still had three people to face up to the quiz. Ah, the quiz, well there wasn't one, the bloke who was to run it hadn't turned up. This didn't seem to bother most of the people in the pub and a riot seemed out of place. We chatted away and I amused myself by texting Kevster dummy questions. Come 11 o'clock I made the long walk back to Chipstead, it seemed to fly by, funny that.

1 comment: